CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

October 5, 2009

Etsy Monday - Twisted Silver Jewelry

Today I have to privilege to share the incredible work of Mel at Twisted Silver Jewelry. She creates gorgeous wire-wrapped jewelry, unlike anything I've seen before. She combines amazingly creative wire wrapping with stunning gemstones to create absolutely stunning jewelry.


 
Mel was kind enough to take the time to answer some questions about her work, her process and inspiration. Let's see what she has to say!

1. When did you realize that you wanted to be an artist/artisan?

I have always wanted to be an artist. I would be content for hours with paper and pencil or some other art project. We didn't have much growing up, which forced us to use our imagination. At the age of 5 I heard a friend of my mother's say that he was "getting rid" of his truck. Not knowing any better, I thought he was throwing it away. I proceded to gather all of the neighborhood kids to create a mural which covered EVERY inch of the truck, including the windows. Found objects are great!

2. How long have you been working with your medium and what first sparked your interest in it?

I have been making jewelry on and off for over 10 years, seriously for 5. My father took me exploring through New Mexico and Colorado, introducing me to geology and my interest in gems began then.



3. What do you find most enjoyable/rewarding about your art/craft?

It is very theraputic. I go into a trance and get very relaxed. I get tickled everytime I get complimented, and still don't know how to deal with it.

4. Where do you find inspiration for your art/craft?

Every shape, curve, line, and color in nature. Dreams.

5. What message or values do you wish to convey with your art? What does your art say to the world?

I want my art to give off the positive energy that I put into it. I want the owner to feel better for experiencing it.




6. Are there any other creative outlets that you use to express yourself? What are they and what do you enjoy about them?

I draw, paint, photograph. I love nature and like to immerse myself in activities like hiking and exploring. I love animals, chocolate and tapas. And of course, anything handmade sparks my fancy.

7. Do you have any advice for other artists/artisans?

Copyright your name. Do all kinds of research, such as material cost, competition, vendors, shows, etc. The more you know the better! Always try something new, and practice, practice, practice.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In closing...

Where else can we find you and your work, either on the internet or in person? (ie blog url, flickr, facebook, etc)

www.wireartbymel.com (a little neglected at the moment)
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/twistedsilverjewelry
and at the Newcomer’s Group of Wheaton, Winf

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

Waterrose said...

What amazing and creative pieces. I was going to tell you which one I liked best, but as I scrolled down, they just got better and better! WOW!

blackmustard said...

I know what you mean Rose! I had a hard time choosing which pictures to include!